Friday, January 16, 2015

Still Whole30-ing along

Today is day 19 of my Whole30, and I am feeling quite confident.

I love this way of eating!

Many people question me about my choices and wonder how I can "give up" so much...  To be quite honest, I don't feel as if I am giving up anything, really.  But looking back, I've been headed this direction for almost 2 years now (can't believe it's been that long!) - and this is kind of the last step in my process. 

I've done this very slowly...  First giving up Soda for lent in 2013...  Then over the remainder of that year, elminiating anything that came from a box, can or bag...  Researching a lot about diet and nutrition, I stumbled on to Marksdailyapple and discovered that "heathly whole grains" are not really healthy - so in December of 2013, I kicked those to the curb as well...  And now here I am, the final pieces to the puzzle...  Any remaining sugars and dairy - poof - gone! 

I am not sure I could have given all of this up at one time, it would have been way too hard.  But doing it slowly, and systematically has been a really good thing for me.  It's allowed me to really research and understand the "why", and make this a life change.  My life and who I am has been transformed!

When I tell people that it's taken me years to get to this place, I think their eyes cross & they zone out a little bit...  It seems to me that most people can't see beyond the "quick fix" - they want all of the glory - never mind all of the work and dedication it takes to get here.  There is a time commitment, and for me, I've decided that it will be for the rest of my life - however long that may be? 

I watch friends/family go on their diet binges for the next big event or goal, and I do cry a little.  I have a hard time remembering that even though this works for me - it may not work for others.  But I see the items they feed themselves, and it makes me so sad...  Chemical substitutes and pitri dishes of who knows what, disguised as food...  And no one ever second guesses it, just because it's for sale in the grocery store, or it's been approved by the FDA, does not make it food.

But I keep pressing on, I cannot let what others do with their lives affect what I do with mine.  After all, I can tell them what I do until I am blue in the face, but most people are put off immediately because it's "too hard"...  Really it's not.  It's actually quite easy...  Once the chemicals are gone, the chemicals that keep you addicted to the crappy "food", it's acually quite easy to see them for what they are, and to taste that they really do taste like crap - after that, it's super easy.  I have absolutely no desire for any of that anymore.

So...  Day 19 you say...  Yup...  Any changes?

Not really...  I still feel the same.  I feel like I've lost a bit in my gut...  Which is good.  I do feel smaller over all.

Boundless energy?  Not really.

Mircacles?  Nope.

In all fairness, I really didn't have any food allergies to start with though - so I wasn't looking for this Whole30 to give me any insight into any of that.

But I feel good.  I feel right.  I don't feel any guilt for eating things I shouldn't. 

I am really looking forward to what these next 11 days bring for me, there is still time for an unknown miracle.  <3

D~

2 comments:

  1. I've spent my morning reading your trip report, found the link here, and read your whole blog.
    I had a whole other comment wrote out....then genius that I am figured out I couldn't post it because I didn't have a gmail account��
    I loved your trip report on disboards, I lurk a lot to get my Disney fix, lol.
    I saw your link to your blog, and came over to read it. I'm not a big poster, very rarely commenting on anything whatsoever.....
    I have to tell you though, your blog made me tear up. I think your an awesome person, and very inspiring. Your girls are so lucky to have a mom who loves them so much.
    I think your story got to me because we have a lot in common...I'm a 42 year old mom of 3, married for over 20 years who loves Disney World. And all I wanted growing up was to have a "normal" family. (Well, I still don't know about the normal part, we are a work in progress, lol)
    I'm sitting here trying to figure out exactly what Im trying to say, or how your blog made me feel....
    Is it weird to say I'm proud of you? I don't even know you, but what you have accomplished is terrific. Your commitment to yourself and your weight loss journey is definitely inspiring. Your creating your own family is just as inspiring. Keeping it together with all of the challenges and hurdles that life in general throws at you, can be a very daunting task at times. I just wanted to let you know that someone read your blog today and thought, that's an inspiring woman. I need to be more grateful for my family, (sometimes we have more downs than ups, like "normal" people) and to make more of a healthy commitment to my families food intake. My youngest son has food intolerances (food colorings, etc), which has forced me to educate myself on what exactly we put into our bodies....(so I REALLY know when I'm eating junk��) seeing what you've done, the commitment you've kept, made me have to leave you a comment and let you know that you are well thought of today by a total stranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angel! Thank you! :) I often wonder if people even read here - LOL - so I don't check in as often as I should. I am so glad you stopped by and left me such a nice message.
      I am not sure that there is such a thing as a "normal family" - LOL, but all we can do is the best we can with what we have, and try to learn from our mistakes... And as long as we don't do anything purposefully detrimental (drugs/alcohol/abuse - mental or physical) - I feel that a family can get beyond anything else... It's not always easy and it's not always fun, but it's all part of being a family and sticking together.
      Thank you for being proud of me... It's taken me so long to get to this place. Sometimes I wish I could have found this way of life sooner, but I don't know that it would have stuck with me the same at any other time? I am thankful for it now though - it's brought me to a place of peace and inner joy that I cannot describe, and it's given me the confidence to be "me" - something I have not had before.
      I wish you luck with your son, and in turn finding your own way... It's not always easy to make the best decisions for us, but I think it's easier when it truly affects someone you love. I hope you are able to continue on your own journey, and enjoy every moment of it.
      Again - thank you for stopping by. ((Hugs)) It was great hearing from you, and in turn inspire me to keep writing and telling my story. <3
      D~

      Delete